Career with Us
The St. James-Assiniboia 55+ Centre is often looking for great people to enhance our programs, services, and activities. We hire creative thinkers and community-minded individuals in the areas of:
– Recreation and Leisure
– Social Services
– Contract Instructors (fitness, leisure, and education)
– Community Development and Outreach
– Food preparation
General applications are accepted via email. Otherwise, please view our current opportunities below.
Congregate Meal Program Coordinator
Job Type: Part-time 14 hours a week, permanent position
Days: Tuesdays and Thursdays 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (30 min lunch)
Location: St. James – Winnipeg, MB
Salary Range: $14-16 an hour
Posting Date: Wednesday, January 2, 2019
Closing Date: Friday, January 11, 2019
The St. James‐Assiniboia 55+ Centre is an independently operated, charitable non-profit organization. Our mission is to encourage seniors to improve their quality of life by providing educational, recreational, health and social opportunities. We offer health services, fitness opportunities, recreational events, outings, Food and Friendship programs, volunteer opportunities, and professional health and wellness services such as foot care and massage. To learn more about our Centre, please visit our website at www.stjamescentre.com.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Congregate Meal Program Coordinator manages the meal program, creating a variety of fun and interesting opportunities for social contact and good nutrition for seniors. The coordinator oversees the planning of events and preparation of well-balanced, affordable meals for our members and the community. The ideal candidate will develop programs that encourage social interaction and group context while also encouraging volunteer and leadership opportunities for seniors. The Meal Program Coordinator is also responsible for promotion and administration of the food program, and creating a warm and friendly atmosphere for participants.
• Developing and promoting food programs.
• Planning food events for groups of 50+ people (developing event theme and menu, as well as meal preparation, event set-up and take-down)
• Planning and preparation of nutritious meals according to the Canada Food Guide.
• Developing and monitoring the budget.
• Maintaining and reporting program statistics, and meeting monthly/annual targets.
• Coordinating grocery shopping and laundry.
• Supervision of kitchen volunteers.
• Other duties as assigned.
The preferred candidate will have a Food Handler’s Certificate, and a minimum of two years’ experience in a food preparation environment.
The ideal candidate should also possess the following attributes:
• Demonstrated experience in planning and facilitating programs.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Highly motivated and hardworking, with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Work well in a team environment.
• Volunteer management experience.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Outgoing, warm and caring.
• Experience working with seniors is an asset.
Please submit a cover letter and resume which clearly states how you meet qualifications stated above by Friday January 11th, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. to:
We sincerely appreciate the interest of all applicants, however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.